A free, seven-week program for children and their mothers to connect and recover after experiencing family violence.
My Mum and Me helps children and their mothers who are affected by family violence, to recover and rebuild their relationship.
At the start of each session, separate activities for mums and kids support each group to focus on skills and concepts that are most helpful to them. Children will learn about insight, empathy, forming healthy relationships and help-seeking behaviours, while mums find out about self-care, using empathy in parenting and other healthy parenting skills.
Mums and kids then come together to share what they have learned, and take part in activities to rebuild and strengthen a healthy mother-child relationship.
Children will learn about:
- tuning in to their feelings
- managing strong emotions
- resolving and repairing conflict
- the effects of family violence
- when and how to get support.
As a mum, you’ll learn about:
- healthy communication skills
- attuning to your child’s emotional needs
- the effects of family violence on families
- positive ways of parenting after experiencing family violence
- identifying your own and your children’s needs, and how to get support.
Children aged between 3 to 12 and their mothers who have experienced family violence.