connectEDspace - support for young people

Young people can face all sorts of pressures – including problems at school, with friends or at home.
connectEDspace is a website by Relationships Australia Victoria (RAV), dedicated to young people to help provide all the information they need to deal with the stuff they go through each day.

Aboriginal Family and Relationship Support

RAV provides support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and individuals to help strengthen family relationships.

Counselling provides an opportunity to talk with a professionally trained person to discuss couple issues, conflicts with friends, relationship breakdown, parenting, domestic violence, anxiety, depression, grief, sexual problems, childhood sexual abuse, stress and work related tensions and disputes.


I'd like to find out about my family

People decide to find out about their family history, and the family members they have been separated from, for many reasons. Before starting a search, many people find it helpful to talk through their reasons, expectations and emotions.

You can call us to discuss searching for family members on 1800 21 03 13.

If you are looking for a family member whose whereabouts is unknown but this is not as a result of forced adoption policies and practices, you can call Open Place on 1800 779 379, or VANISH (Victorian Adoption Network for Information and Self Help) on 1300 826 474.

Visit the Open Place website>

Visit the VANISH website>

Obtaining adoption records is the first step

In Victoria, Adoption Information Services (AIS) are provided by the Victorian State Government Department of Justice and Community Safety to help people separated by adoption who want to obtain adoption records or contact one another.

If eligible to do so, you can apply to AIS for adoption records. Information that may be available includes records created by past adoption agencies and courts, as well as copies of the adopted person’s original birth certificate.

The AIS website has information about their services and their contact details.

Visit the AIS website>

If you are seeking information or family records from other states of Australia, you can contact the Forced Adoption Support Services for that state.

Find Forced Adoption Support Services in each state>

Once you have received the adoption records, you can start to search official records (such as births, deaths and marriages records and electoral rolls) for information about your family member/s.

VANISH (Victorian Adoption Network for Information and Self Help) has been supporting people affected by forced adoption to search for their relatives for more than 25 years. VANISH has produced a search guide detailing all the steps of the search process that is available on their website.

Visit the VANISH website>

Often people find that enlisting support from friends and family is a great help when dealing with the emotional and practical issues encountered during their search. In Victoria there are specialist services and peer support groups who can help as well.

Find Services and Support Groups>

How long will a search take?

While searching can be straightforward, this is often not the case and it can take a long time – many months or even longer. Records may be incomplete or inaccurate, and family members may be hard to locate as their names may have changed or they may have moved interstate or overseas.

Although it may take time, the success rate for locating a person is quite high. If you are successful in finding current information about the person you are searching for, it’s important to take time to carefully consider how to go about making contact.

You can call us if you need support on 1800 21 03 13.

I'd like to contact family members>

Return to the Forced Adoption Support Service main page>